2.28.2014

Personalizing our home: Peter's room.

The second installment of our "personalizing the home" series features Peter's room. And when I say Peter's room I really mean the room where he sleeps, gets his diaper changed, reads stories before bedtime, aaaand a whole lot of non-toddler proofed storage. Poor kid, doesn't even get to play in his own room. Don't worry Mr. Peter, someday we'll live in a huge place with three whole rooms and you'll get to roam free... like Simba. Minus the shadowy places which currently are mommy and daddy's room and the bathroom. And the laundry room. Wow, how does this kid stay entertained? Oh wait, right... he thinks I'm an indestructible jungle gym.

Anyhow... as I mentioned in the "great room" post I actually started working on this room almost two years ago when I found out I was pregnant with a little lion cub boy. Very quickly dark blue and seaweedy green became the color scheme and I just ran with it to make everything more-or-less match. During the last trimester of my pregnancy we had just moved to Wisconsin so I had all sorts of time (not all sorts of energy unfortunately) to make a couple mobiles and the crib skirt. Gradually I have added a few things here and there and the furniture throughout the apartment has gotten moved around to make Peter's room what it is today.



Wasn't Todd the cutest little guy??


My mom made these fun banners for my baby shower in Utah right before we moved. Peter went through a "must rip the corners off of the pennants" phase but now that he's over that he just likes to point at the pictures and say "daddy." Yes, there are pictures of Todd (and I) as babies but don't be impressed, he doesn't actually know that some of them are daddy. He does that to every picture... even the pictures of strange men on magazines in line at the grocery store. I always have to give the loud fake laugh and say something like, "Ah haha... you silly boy, that's not daddy! Daddy is at work!" Then he points at the cashier... "Daddy!" And again... "So silly, daddy is at a different work! Let's be quiet now okay buddy? Ya here, put these crackers in your mouth..." 

Ya, it's awkward. 

Anyway...


Once Peter really started moving around the apartment we had to graduate this shelf to the back room. I don't mind that Peter is a "shelf emptier" but some things... like ripping mommy and daddy's books or getting into the board games just isn't something I'm willing to embrace yet. I know I'll have to just let it happen some day but to that I quote a well known line from the third installment of The Lord of the Rings trilogy:

"Today is not that day!" 
(queue epic LOTR running-through-the-wilderness soundtrack)

Since this shelf graduated to Peter's room, the desk got bumped to our room so mommy could use it for primary stuff without waking the baby. Pretty much on this shelf we have anything that Peter has abused, ripped, or isn't old enough for. That and some cute ABC blocks from one of Mount Horeb's antique shops (that I'm absolutely convinced were painted with led paint), more "Daddy!" pictures, and a sweet globe that I scored at the thrift store. For reals who would throw that out?? Maybe because it's not accurate anymore... but that's what makes it so cool! Once Todd figured out when it was made by looking at what some of the countries names were... 1960-something? Maybe?


Aaaaand you wouldn't even know it but right next to that shelf is the food storage! It has since gotten a lot taller and we badly need some legit food storage shelving but for now the old entertainment center is working great. It also graduated to the back room due to Peter's need to rip everything off of it. Luckily, like you saw in the great room post, Amber gave us her old entertainment center to fulfill our keep-everything-behind-a-latched-door-needs and our (my) furniture re-doing desires.




To stick with the running whale theme I snatched these paper whales from the baby shower as well and taped them to the wall... so pathetic, I know. They fall down all of the time and I only put them back up to take pictures like these or if I'm in a tidy-every-thing-in-the-entire-apartment mood. I also made the little whale mobile during my pre-baby down time. It's not uber sturdy but it was fun to make and kept me busy while Todd was away.


Here's the other part of the storage messiness. It's a good thing Peter's clothes aren't very long or else we really wouldn't be able to fit all of that junk in there. Before taking this picture I thought something along the lines of, "I should probably tidy that up... but then that would make a liar out of me, because its like never tidied up... but do I really want them to see what it looks like in all of it's messiness?? Those poor people... their eyes... they would probably bleed. Okay fine... I'll tidy it up, but only a little bit." Yeah... so, in all of it's glory... here's Peter's closet. Inside you can find everything from Christmas decorations to high school journals, wrapping paper to newborn clothes, and a few boxes that I'm actually not sure what they currently contain. I feel like I should make an I-Spy game out of this. 

I-Spy... a bathtub, seminary scriptures, a pull-up bar box, and a hiking baby backpack. BONUS: a box of Christmas lights, three Easter baskets, and 27 pairs of socks. Good luck.


Wow... I should really shut the doors to this beast. But we never do, it just stays open. It could close, which is something, right? At least it's not facing the door way and blaring it's messy cluttered-ness through the hall and down the throats of unsuspecting guests.

On that note... now that these rooms are coming together you can come visit us! We'll make sure the beast-of-a-closet is in it's kennel and I'll feed you yummy treats! and we can play Ticket to Ride! No seriously though, who's in? 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the whale mobile!!!!!! SOOO stinkin cute. Cool room! :)

    ReplyDelete