6] be awfully original and hike timp in the middle of the night just in time for the sunrise.
July 30 • 2010
It all started with an idea produced by my dear friend Sarah June. She asked me one evening, "Katelyn... what are you doing this Friday from about midnight to 6am?" A question I really have never been asked before so I knew exactly what she was about to go down. The only activity worth participating in from midnight to 6am on a weekend is either sleeping or hiking [of course]. So with no delay we planned a trip up the mountain to hike timp that very next weekend. The hike was scheduled to start late Friday evening and go through the night into Saturday morning. But... before that went down of course we had to make much preparations. We spent Friday doing everything rather normal... work and such ya know... then we dined finely at the pitted pita and laughed our pants off at HumorU [BAM!!]. This was followed by a couple of semi-productive naps before heading up the mountain. After arriving at the trail head and gathering our troops [me, Todd, Jenny, Emily, Alicia, Sarah June, and a super hip 40 year-old lady] around 12:30 a.m. we found the trail head and buckled in for a long night of much vertical gain. We hiked and hiked and hiked... there were switch backs and rock fields and water falls and anything you could imagine to be on a mountain side. We only took two minor detours and didn't lose too much time finding our way back. The whole way up was beautiful... even though I am a little night-blind and did a lot of tripping and plant facing. Nonetheless the moon lit the entire hike and I really enjoyed seeing the mountain's glamor in a different light. After a handful of hours it started to light up again and we were not at the top yet!! <
6:32 a.m.
I made him muster up just enough strength to take a photo or two... then he was out.
Todd participating in the sleeping of the masses.
Aaaand he's awake again... to our right is the whole valley, a way cool sight to see.
Here are the troups! We all made it to the top!
On the way down looking back at the hike [which looks like a golf course]... I will definitely do it again before I die.
No comments:
Post a Comment