8.10.2011

104] do the valley a favor and find the best hot dog stand: Contestant #3

If you saw the article in the DU about Hotdog King then you already know that this place is a hit... that is if you read the DU. I read it... sorta... I look at the pictures.


When I saw the picture of this wiener joint I knew it'd end up on our list. Hotdog King can be found on State Street in Orem... right after you come up the hill from Provo (it's on the right). They... well he... specializes in fun and creative dogs that have all sorts of crazy toppings. Charlie Mendes is the owner and creator of all these tasty dogs and to be honest he probably has thee best customer service and salesman skills around. As soon as we walked in the door he was there to help us, ready with every detail about every dog offered. After hearing about the specials for the day we asked about a few others that looked appetizing. Todd ended up getting the Utah Dog and I got the Brazillian Panini Dog.


When Charlie told us about the Utah Dog he basically said he wanted to make something that included everything that the locals love. According to him, the locals (two universities full of foreigners haha) love potatoes, fry sauce, and bacon... and that's basically what was on the dog. The Brazillian Panani Dog, on the other hand, was indeed foreign. Pretty much he cuts the hot dog hot-dog-style (haha) and puts it, along with the toppings, on the bun and grills the whole thing into a flat bread panini! I don't remember all of the toppings but there was definitely bacon, onions, ketchup & sweet relish added by me, and cream cheese... oh the cream cheese! It was definitely the best part! Whatever else on there must have been delicious because the whole thing went together very well. As for the bun and the dog... I wasn't entirely impressed with the dog. It seemed very Oscar Meyer-esque (contradictory to the DU review). And the bun was totally grilled... so I didn't get that fresh bun taste but it was still a fun twist.


Unfortunately, I might have put the dog in 4th place (we've been to another joint since). However, Charlie is tied for first for excellent customer service and for providing a fun dining atmosphere.

This was out back behind the actual joint. We didn't get too close
 'cause there was a cop looking around.

No comments:

Post a Comment