J dawgs will always have a place in my heart. The first time I went... oh maybe 2 years or so ago... I immediately fell in love with the special sauce. With this love... eh hem, bias... I knew entering J Dawgs into our competition was probably unfair... but why not have another reason to eat a J Dawg?? And so we threw it on the list!
| dang shadows. |
So last weekend we felt the need for a cheap meal (tuition, books, rent, deposits, etc. are adding up) and so we called up Marysa for extra company and walked on over to the corner of 9th & 8th for a delicious dinner. Marysa hadn't been before (a felony considering she lives at Campus Plaza!) so she got a polish dog. Todd and I also got polish dogs since they are significantly tastier than anything around. We each got a variety of different toppings including pickles, onions, jalapenos, banana peppers, sauerkraut, mustard (spicy brown), ketchup, and of course... special sauce. I got the usual (special sauce, sauerkraut, jalapenos, banana peppers, and a little bit of onions) but I decided that next time I'll go for a cooler option and cut out one of the peppers. Nonetheless the dog was beyond delicious and I'm already looking forward to going again. Cons: too much heat... but that's always preventable; and it's pretty messy... but that doesn't matter too much either since it's almost attractive in Provo to have special sauce all over your face. Pros: it only costs $3... they could totally charge more for the taste their pumpin' out; the buns are baked fresh daily at a local bakery... definitely noticeable; the dog is nothing short than premium... also made locally; and again, the sauce is to die for.
I may be a stereotypical J Dawg worshiping BYU student... and I generally don't like being labelled for doing the things I do... but I'll take it for this one.
Overall I'd say J Dawgs is in a three-way tie for first place. I'll have to give it more thought when the actual final judging takes place. Until then we have a couple more hot dog joints to check out so stay tuned! (:
I have the recipe for a copycat jdawgs sauce! Its not quite as good but still tasty!
ReplyDeleteCopycat JDawg Sauce
3/4 C ketchup
3/4 C barbeque sauce
1/4 C honey
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
Mix together and enjoy!
It doesn't have the tang of Jdawgs real sauce, but it is good.