5.28.2013

1. donate my hair.

I don't know what took me so long to do this... I've donated my hair twice before so really there was nothing to be afraid of. I knew what I would look like with shorter hair. I knew it would take a little more work to manage depending on how much I actually donated. I pretty much knew exactly what to expect.

Oh wait, actually I do remember why.

As I mentioned, I have donated my hair twice already, both times in high school. The first time around was right before my sophomore year. My hair was waaaay long and even had some good length to it after chopping off the 10 inches required to donate. The second time around was my senior year and we did it sort of as a senior class project. A bunch of girls and even a few guys grew out their hair, they gave us free trims at the local university's hair school, and at the end of the semester there was supposed to be this big assembly where they chopped all of our hair off. Unfortunately the assembly didn't happen so I just went and got it chopped clear to an a-line one day and showed up to school with a lot less hair than I had had the day before. I actually really liked the haircut and kept it short for a year or so into college. Somewhere in that 1-2 year span, however, I had a close friend do what close friends are supposed to do... be 100% honest with me. He told me that short hair made me look fat. Plain as that... no sugar coating. It made me look fat. Being the weight-cautious teenager that I was I was mortified that I had been making myself look overweight and didn't even know about it. So I grew my hair out.

How lame is that?? I should have had so much more self-confidence.

This time around I was silly yet again. Really, it's never hard for me to be a derp. So this time I didn't want to chop it because I didn't want to be the stereotypical first mom that chops her hair after having a baby. I just don't like doing what people expect me to do sometimes, okay... like I said, silly. I also was still haunted by my friend's comment about me being all plump and such with shorter hair. And being post-baby that was the last thing I wanted... to look even more post-baby!

But it needed to come off... my hair is thin and I don't do a good job of keeping the ends healthy so it was just time. 

My family was in town. The new CostCutters down the road was opening that day. I figured what the heck... I'll go get a haircut and decide when I'm there whether or not I'm going to donate it.. Haha.

Here are my sisters and I taking some fun photobooth pictures a day or so before the cut... my hair was way too long, I admit.


The haircut went something like this... Emily and I pulled up and noticed that we were not alone. The ceremonial opening day scissor cutting people were there! (We'll call them the CODSCP's.) And lots of cameras! Ah heck! So as nonchalantly as we could we went in and ordered one haircut, please. The store manager took us to the closest seat and asked what I wanted. I told her I was still a little uneasy but my goal was to donate my hair either right then or soon afterwards. She showed me how long my hair would be and I gave her the go-ahead. Four pony tails later and my hair was gone. Pretty much we were then swiftly booted out the door. Apparently when you get a free hair cut for donating your hair they don't try as hard?? Not sure... anyway, it was the fastest cut I have ever gotten. I'm sure it was quick because she was super good at her job, not because she was beefed about not getting paid for it. Sorry! I'll give you a big tip next time, I promise! 

We also got some fun attention from the CODSCP's while we were there. They got super excited and asked if they could take my picture... as soon as I could say, "Yeah, sure!" I was surrounded by like 10 people with cameras all snapping away. It was pretty funny... probably my closest encounter with fame. Next to going to high school with Taysom Hill and coming THIS close to shaking President Monson's hand.



On my way out they had me fill out some "paper work" and one of the questions asked if I wanted my "thank you" to show up in my inbox or my mailbox. Psh... USPS please! 



And here we are saying our goodbyes after the haircut. Again, what took me so long?? I love shorter hair! And here's the deal, yo... I don't look fat, okay! 

No comments:

Post a Comment