Here is how it went...
Yesterday was a typical Saturday. Well kinda. It was a little more relaxing than usual (until the bomb of course) which was wonderful considering Peter and I spent all of Friday flying across the country. We were definitely in need of a recovery day. So the day began with a 7 mile run (not so typical, actually) past the lake and through the farm land north of our little village. After missing my turn, running out into the middle of no where, getting chased down by a dog, and making some biker friends... Todd came and found me and we got cleaned up so we could run some errands. Nothing too fancy... just groceries and some new shnazzy Saucony's as my mother's day gift. (Thanks Todd! xoxo)
Once we got home and threw some dinner together we decided that we would fix up our bikes before it got dark. With Peter down for bed we headed down to the garage and got to work. And when I say we got to work I really mean Todd got to work. He's just so much better at that kind of stuff. You know... taking things apart, fixing things, problem solving. So... I let him do his thing and I went upstairs to do the dishes and make some pan cookies. This is where the funny story really begins.
You see, anytime Todd makes cookies he always gives me a little handful of chocolate chips to snack on while the cookies are baking. This all started when I was pregnant and couldn't have the batter because of the raw eggs therein. Instead Todd would lick out the bowl and I would get like 6 chocolate chips haha.
So... I finished up the dishes and threw the pan cookie in the oven to get all cooked up. I considered going all the way down to the garage to give Todd some chocolate chips but I had already put the big old Costco bag away and opted not too. I know, I'm not as nice as Todd is... he would have brought me some.
I set the timer and went to sit on the couch when I got a phone call from Todd... dun dun dun!
"Hey, do you want to come down and see how I attached the trailer to your bike?"
"Yeah, I'll be there in a sec. Love you."
Click.
(are you feeling the suspense yet?? cause I am just typing this and I already know what happens!!!)
I slipped on my sandals and thought something along the lines of, "I really should take Todd some chocolate chips cause he's awesome and fixing my bike and I'm going down there anyway..." So I pulled the bag out of the freezer (yes I freeze our chocolate chips, it's so humid here, they would melt anywhere else!) and grabbed a handful to share with Todd in the garage. In an attempt to keep the delicious chocolate chips from melting in my hand I set the bag next to the microwave, snatched my keys, and headed downstairs. I made a mistake before I left however...
(more suspense!!)
I forgot to check the timer before I left... dun dun dun!
(suspennnnnnsssse!)
Todd was happy to see that I had chocolate chips... one, because he got to eat them and two, because he knew that meant there was an even yummier treat upstairs in the oven.
He showed me how to attach the bike trailer ($10 bucks at a garage sale, baby) and I took it for a spin up and down the road. Oh how I missed that bike. It had been over a year since I had taken her for a spin. Apparently you're not supposed to bike when you're preggers. Something about tipping over and falling off and going into labor too early...
Anyway, Todd hopped on his bike and casually rode around as well, meanwhile our cookies were in the oven... baking away.
(I know what you're thinking... get back inside!!! the cookies are going to burn! Save the baby!)
Upon satisfaction we put our bikes away and headed upstairs to eat the delicious cookies and watch a movie.
We got to the door, Todd pulled out his keys, unlocked the door, turned the knob, pushed open the door... and.....
(suh-suh-suh-spense!)
...smoke did not come billowing out into the hallway. You thought I burned the cookies, didn't you! I didn't, matter of fact they turned out perfectly. Peter was crying however... hmm...
(the suspense is back!)
So yeah we walked inside and Todd headed down to our room and made a dead stop in front of the kitchen. His eyes wide. Face white.
"Oh... my... gosh..." He said in the slowest most dramatic voice I've ever heard come out of his mouth.
Having already heard my baby crying my heart stopped and dropped straight down to my recently painted muddy rose toes. I ran over to look into the kitchen and to my horror this is what I saw....
A bomb had gone off... a chocolate chip atomic bomb littered all over our kitchen floor.
"That's why he's crying, he knows there is 5 pounds of chocolate chips dumped on the kitchen floor." Todd said and he turned and went to our room, emotionless.
I had forgotten to zip up the giant bag of chocolate chips on my way out the door and they dumped. They dumped big time. Bummer. But not "Oh... my... gosh..." bummer! Come on! I thought there was like a cobra and a hawk wrestling over the last slice of pizza on our kitchen floor! Not so.
I caught my breath, slowed down my heart rate, and swept up the delicious chocolatey mess.
Now, you have to understand something. This isn't abnormal at our house (the chocolate chip part, not the cobra vs. hawk part). As my dear roommate, Marie (yep, maple sausage Marie) once told Todd, "You'll never be bored a day in your life."
This statement has been proven multiple times, especially in the last month. Instances to demonstrate this statement include overflowing the kitchen sink, putting a hole in the wall and the front door at the same time, dumping and smearing chocolate cake on the same spot on the same door two weeks later, and of course, the chocolate chip atomic bomb incident. Another whole montage in itself! I really need to get on that show... So yeah, I'm just really good at making myself "look like some kind of mental person!!" (two minutes in)
Anyway. All is well. Only some permanent damage was done haha. Life goes on. We all get a good laugh. My brain keeps decaying. Whatever. I'll survive.
Until the next derpy incident, thank you for joining us on... Days of Katelyn's Life, the Insanity Years.
![]() |
| post sweep job, yeah it was a lot. |


Hahaha...I am clumsy so I'm always breaking things, too. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat the heck is a pan cookie? One BIG cookie?
And, not being able to eat the batter while I was pregnant was TORRRRRRTURE.