Oh camping... why don't we hang out more?? Seriously though, Todd and I really enjoy you and have been your buddy our whole lives... but for some reason we have neglected you the past few summers. Something about going to school, being poor, having a baby... something like that. And it's only going to get harder the more little children that we have. Anyway, enough excuses, we have taken one single camping trip for the last two summers... which for some people is more than enough. For us, I would love to go at least three times, ya? That's a good amount, right? Luckily we have other fun things going on so it's not like we're just poopin' around being boring lazies.
Like I said, we haven't totally been jerks to our camping compadre this summer or last summer either for that matter. Last year we went to Devil's Lake and had a lovely time. This year we drove a little farther north past Wausau to Council Grounds State Park. Our campsite was a million times better and even though there were no mountains we sure felt like we were in the mountains with the thick trees and such. The funny thing is our baby doctor in Utah recommended Devil's Lake to us before we moved last summer because it was like a little mountainy oasis... and then our campsite had like one tree and we felt like we were sleeping in the middle of a soccer field. Haha so yeah each have their pros and cons. Matter of fact, why don't I just list them off for you? (:
Devil's Lake: 2012
Cons: well our campsite was silly, beach didn't have a lot of shade either, it was HOT (I was also 36 weeks pregnant which didn't help), and that might be it... it really was a great place.
Council Grounds: 2013
Pros: beautiful campsites, kid/baby friendly hikes, nice beach area w/ a big old hill so it was easy to watch your swimmers, overall excellent peacefullness that took me back to my favorite Redfish days.
Cons: the state park office sells you wet/sappy wood haha, come on guys! The hikes were kid/baby/sissy friendly, we do like a challenge here and there. That might be it... we're not picky.
And of course an array of photographs from the weekend...
Peter did SO well. He slept like a brick the first night, through all of the fireworks and everything, and really he only got grumpy towards the end because he wasn't getting his normal walk around/wiggle time. Thanks for being a champ Peter! (for reals though, had you been a pill the whole time we probably wouldn't want to go camping with kids in the future)
Me and my little buddy warming up before breakfast.
Our cute little campsite. The lady that "checked us in" said we got the best one. I'd have to agree, we were right on the outside corner so our neighbors weren't close at all. We also had reasonable access to the potty and excellent access to the river and trails.
Mr. Peter napping in the tent... he seriously was such an awesome sleeper, I was so surprised and extremely grateful.
Daddy and Peter ready for our morning "hike." Can I just say that I love hiking with Todd? Because I do.
Playing at the lake. Peter didn't like the cold water very much, we'll have to try the whole swimming thing again somewhere warmer. Maybe he needs to graduate from his little plastic tub first...
Yeah he's actually like ripping my hair out in this picture haha.
Getting some wiggles out, do you like our attempt to keep him from finding little rocks and eating them?? It didn't work for very long...
We used our dutch oven for the first time and made my mom's classic cheesy potato, chicken, ham, and oniony deliciousness. As you can tell it worked out pretty well...
I love the wild flowers out here...they grow everywhere.
A cool mushroom by the river. Yum??
And one of our favorite adventures from the trip... we woke up Saturday morning and the universe was not on our side. It started when Peter was up and wanted to wrestle at about 4:30. Luckily we got him to settle down and sleep in with us for a little longer. After that... we couldn't get a fire going to save our lives. We seriously tried four or five times... silly water ridden wood. Next, our lantern which we were also using for the first time random tipped over and broke, it was like gravity shifted, so weird... and then the stove broke. Haha woohoo! Luckily we had saved some coals from dutch ovening and just put our frying pans on those... worked great!
Phew. That was a morning worth not repeating. I'm so glad Todd likes adventures and had a good attitude.
Annnnnd yep... overall we had a really great time! I'm already excited to go again! There's just something about being out in nature and sitting around in the sun, relaxing in your camp chair that is so lovely. I highly recommend it. (:
No comments:
Post a Comment