Turns out I wasn't actually planning on blogging about our strawberry picking experience... and then towards the end of our adventure while taking yet another picture of our harvest Todd said something along the lines of, "I'm getting all of the photo opps that I can because I know you're going to want to blog about this." Haha so yeah Todd knows me better than I know myself... and here we are, blogging about strawberry pickin'.
Last summer I had a few opportunities to go strawberry picking and looking back I wish I would have done it. But I was pregnant and didn't want to go out in the sticky, energy draining weather when I could go buy a bunch of strawberries for like twenty more cents a pound on an expensive day. Now that Peter is here and very curious I really can't go picking unless I do something like park our pack'n'play next to the field... and that probably isn't going to happen either. Anyway... we signed up for a CSA (community supported agriculture??) this year (also something I wish we would have done last year) and they threw a little free strawberry picking/shirt making party a couple Saturdays ago for a few hours. So of course Todd and I checked it out. Afterwards we were telling the missionaries about it and we realized that it wasn't totally a nice free strawberry picking activity... it was more like "come pick the last of the strawberries that we would put in your basket this week anyway... but we are sick of picking strawberries" event. So yeah, instead of getting a pound of strawberries in our basket we got a pint... because we picked the other pint ourselves! Just a funny realization. We actually had a lot of fun and thankfully Peter seemed to enjoy himself on the sidelines.
We were also thankful not to get absolutely drenched. All day there had been goofy storms... ya know the complete down-pours that last five minutes tops while the sun is still shining. Pretty much we waited by the shed door until the rain stopped, ran out and picked strawberries for 10-15 minutes, and ran back in just in time for more rain. It was great. (:
Here's our little Peter waiting for the rain to stop... this was also his first experience with the hiking backpack and he did very well with it. Good thing too... because we had a camping trip planned for the near future that included a few child friendly hikes.
Out in the fields, wearing my galoshes.
Heavens, he is so blonde and pale. Can you say SPF 1,000??
A lovely shot of the strawberry fields and looming rain clouds.
Right before the rain picked up again... as evident by the aforementioned clouds and the droplet on the lens.
Wooo strawberries! For being the "old" and "swelled" they sure were tasty! We used most of them to make some strawberry cheesecake bars... deeee-lish. As for the rest... our sweet little blond compost machine took care of those. (:
Can't wait until next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment