3.04.2014

penny pinching.

Recently one of our good college friends, Autumn, wrote a post on her blog, stay gold autumn, about budgeting. It included her and husbands short and long term goals for their new home and other areas of their lives as well as how they are going to complete these goals while staying on a budget. I really like this idea of prioritizing your goals based off of what your budget will allow. I especially appreciated her post because recently I have also been setting some new goals as well as giving our budget a little more attention than normal. I just haven't combined the two like Autumn has. Why the sudden bonus attention to our budget? Well, you see when we leave for school at the end of July we wont have an income. Matter of fact Todd had to sign a contract saying he wouldn't work during his first two semesters of his masters... that's how busy they are going to keep him! But we'll still need to like... live and stuff. Since we are living now I thought that we could start practicing doing so cheaply so that when living cheaply becomes vital (aka zero income time) we'll actually have an idea of what kind of budget system works for us. And ideally we'll stick to that budget and stay debt free throughout Todd's MBA career. That's the goal part. (:

And because I love getting ideas from you and I want to share the pros and cons of different method's that we test out I thought I'd write about the process on here. I also think I'll feel more accountable this way. Plus being able to compare your budgeting system and such to others is always helpful. Anyhow...

This process is going to be tricky to say the least, but luckily there are a lot of resources out there to help us save every single penny that we can. Really though, there are a lot of resources and I have been scoring the internet for every budgeting/money saving tip to ever exist in order to find the ones that agree with my personality.

So where do we begin? Well, trial and error I suppose! Hopefully there aren't too many errors haha. The nice part is that we already are budgeters... it's the following-the-budget-to-a-tee part that gets us. Another bonus is that many of our expenses are fixed. This means that we'll be all set with those as long as we remember to pay the ones that aren't set up for a direct online payment. And (knock on wood) I'm pretty good about remembering. Mostly because I have a reoccurring event on my calendar that reminds me each month. It's great. Outside of those fixed payments... ya know, rent is always $715 and car insurance is always $96 and sheesh there are just so many things to pay for these days! Good heavens I sound like a grown up... ya anyway outside of those fixed payments we personally have five main categories where our money is spent... utilities, gas, groceries, entertainment, and gifts. These are the five that we are going to give the most attention to since we have the most control over how much is spent in those areas.

Utilities... they're kind of a fixed payment because you just have to pay the bill. Yes you can turn down the heat and keep the lights off and wash your laundry with cold water but other than those little things there isn't much you can do, you just have to pay it, whatever it is. High in the winter, low in the summer. You just pay it.

Gas is a tricky one for us. We drive a lot of miles... mostly because we shop in town (anywhere from 15-30 minute drive) and our church congregation's boundaries are pretty big. I think the farthest member lives 40 minutes away from us. It also doesn't help that one of my bestest buds moved from just up the street to a beautiful home 25 minutes away. That'll definitely add some miles because I can't just not go hang out! Come on!

Groceries. This is a huge one. I'll save it for last. So next, entertainment. All of the entertainment that we indulge in is redbox, going out to eat, and attending sporting events. Luckily for us, my mother ever so graciously gave Todd and I a redbox gift card for Christmas so we can take that completely out of our budget for a couple years. As for eating out and going to sporting events BYU and Giants games... it doesn't happen a whole ton but it's still an expense that we have complete control over so it will get some attention.

Gifts... I love to give gifts. I'm not the best at doing so cheaply but I am getting better. And there are only going to be more and more people that we love and want to give to so we need to get better at setting aside money for these occasions.

Okay so back to groceries. I love going grocery shopping guys. Some people dig doing laundry, some are dish washing pros... I am a grocery shopper. Maybe because I minored in nutrition so being around all of the food and comparing and picking the cheapest, healthiest options is a way for me to use my education. Maybe because I just like spending money and doing so on stuff we actually need is awesome. I don't know... but I enjoy it quite a lot. I also love to bake and cook. I love trying new recipes and sometimes if I am feeling a little bold I just make stuff up to some extent. Unfortunately this means that I buy lots of ingredients that I don't necessarily need to splurge on. Like poppy seeds. Definitely bought those last week for a fruit salad of all things. Probably the silliest purchase I have ever made in my entire life. I'll have to make some copy cat Winco poppy seed muffins to make up for it. Yum... oh my heck that sounds so divine right now...

K I'm back... I had to go look up recipes for poppy seed anything on Mel's blog. She's got poppy seed bread, bundt cake, and cookies. I think we all know what I'll be eating for dessert tonight! (all three of course!)

a 9-month old Peter helping me shop at Costco

Anyway, grocery shopping really is going to be the biggest challenge for obvious reasons.

Alright, let the journey begin! Five months until game time and endless budgeting ideas to try out. To save myself from failing too many times I am going to start with "the best" out there... the envelope system. Wish me luck and stay tuned for an update on how things are going... the pros, the cons, and the etc. of this famous budgeting technique.

p.s. I want to hear about your ideas too! so lay 'em on me!

4 comments:

  1. I love this!! I am posting all of my budgeting things on Sundays and will link your blog on here :)

    I use mint.com and really like it, especially the app! I love it because we can put all of our accounts on it, including our 401k. It helps us a lot because we can track each other's spending daily even when Devin is out of town. He traveled so much when he got here that it was really challenging for us to sit down together to look at budgets etc. together. It really gave us the ability to do that. The app is really visual too which sometimes appeals to me more than the numbers. Using our credit card, and paying it off within a day, helped us have a great credit for our home purchase and has really helped raised our credit limit a ton.

    A lot of people who aren't big on credit cards use the envelope system. I like this blog's series on the envelope system: http://www.happilyeverstrader.com/search/label/finances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mint.com! I'm not the best at using it but whenever I do hop on there and update stuff I'm always impressed.

      Thanks for the link by the way! I feel so honored! Todd may or may not have been jealous haha.

      Delete
  2. If you're super interested in learning about this stuff there is a fantastic course that BYU offers for free online through continuing education. It won't help you save money at the grocery store, but it's really great for going through what kind of insurance is available, building credit, and planning for car maintenance etc. One thing that it really stresses in there is: don't live under-insured (car, health, or home) to save money because it's not worth the risk.
    The best thing that we have done with our budget is setting aside some money each month for occasional or unscheduled expenses. I tried setting aside a certain amount of money for a whole bunch of categories like car maintenance and registration (and parking tickets...) and health care costs, but it just messed up my mint account. Now we just plan on a couple hundred dollars for those types of things each month and if they don't happen we put that money in emergency savings for the months when our unexpected expenses are more than a couple hundred. It really takes the stress out of those types of expenses.
    The other thing that's really helped us (especially without income) is setting aside a (very) small amount for fun each month. When we were first married we didn't do that and we were just trying to spend no money. Then we had to discuss if we could afford every little thing and eventually we just felt trapped. It's so much better to just expect to spend a little bit on things that you don't really need.
    For the grocery store I used to use http://www.grocerysmarts.com/. You have to be super careful to not buy things you don't need and don't buy a lot (of say toothpaste) and let it expire. We used to get free/super cheap stuff from Smiths about twice a year. Since you're going to be in Provo you might have to drive to a less popular Smiths to get the deals.
    Okay last thing I swear. I recently found out about http://www.ebates.com/. They give between 1% and 20% cash back at most online stores. You just go to the site first and then use their link for Amazon or whatever. We haven't got really any money from them yet because I always forget to use it, but I know the cash back we get from our credit card adds up, so in theory this site could save us some money.
    Okay that's it. I love personal finance like you love home personalization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is great! I'm going to have to check out that class. And yes, ebates is great once it adds up. I finally remembered to use it last week when I ordered some jeans from Old Navy (using your gift card of course). Thanks so much!

      Delete