3.09.2014

reviewing and renewing.

In my last post I mentioned that I have recently been setting some new goals... mostly due to the fact that I have achieved quite a few my old goals that I set a year ago. Since almost a year has indeed passed since I set those goals I thought now would be a good time to do a little reviewing and renewing as well as some setting of new self-improvement goals for the next year or so.

Reviewing

Here's a little checklist of how I did with the aforementioned goals... I didn't post about all of the completed goals but feel free to follow the links on the ones that I did write about to read more if your interested.

  1. Run the Dances with Dirt Devil's Lake Half Marathon: CHECK!
  2. Practice eucharisteo: not so check... I will give myself some credit and say I did a better job of more often pointing out the small things that I am grateful for. But... I never quite made the habit of writing these things down. I want to literally have a list going that just follows me around the house and gets bigger and bigger and bigger. I want to head the teachings of the prophet Alma taught in Alma 7:23... "always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive."
  3. Personalize our home: CHECK! I have had a lot of fun with this one! I'm still working on a few things here and there but so far everything is coming together quite nicely.
  4. Read a book a month: CHECK! 
  5. Read and learn from the Ensign every month: check! My favorite part about this one is that my sister (serving a mission in San Diego for the LDS church) does the same so we can share what we've learned with each other in our weekly emails.
  6. Get back to my pre-pregnancy weight: super CHECK! woohoo!
  7. Be someone's exercise and wellness coach: no check. :( This one is hard to do because how do you ask someone if they want help with their get-healthy goals? You can't just say, "Hey I've noticed that you're a little overweight... can I help?" So pretty much I'm waiting for you to come to me...
  8. Play a piano solo in sacrament meeting: almost check. (: I played the congregational hymns a few weeks back and it went better than terrible so that's something, right? I also told our music lady that I'd play a piece in April for Easter... yeah I better get practicing for that.
  9. Make a quilt: almost check again! For Christmas my MIL gave me a gift card to our little village's quilting shop and Todd gave me a Jo-Ann's gift card... now I just need to use them before we move!
  10. "Re-tile" our kitchen table: CHECK! (:

Renewing

Since I've just about completed most of these goals I obviously need to come up with some new ones to keep me busy and moving me upward and onward. Character-improving/talent building goals that I am adding to the queue include:

  1. Really practice eucharisteo.
  2. For reals be someone's exercise and wellness coach. 
  3. Put a "singing resume" together and convince some one to let me give them voice lessons. I've taken voice lessons and I've been singing for quite a while... why not share what I know? I'm all about sharing knowledge.
  4. Read more books than last year. (>14) I've had a slow start to this one, it's March and I haven't finished a single book yet!
  5. Get a college-student friendly budget down to a tee (or close to a tee) before starting school again in the fall. 
  6. Be a better person. I want to be able to look back in a year and feel like I've really served and loved my family, friends, and come closer to my Savior.
  7. Be a homemaker and keep the home clean and full of love.
  8. Complete the value of virtue in the Young Women's program. I had my medallion and was long out of high school when the new value was added to the program... which means I'm behind and should probably forfeit my medallion until I finish the projects for virtue haha.
  9. Get my pHd in Relief Society again. I loved this program that my old ward put together. It had so many great uplifting activities for nearly all aspects of life.


Well, there we go! I'd like to add a couple more but for now I'll just grow as much as I can with these. Really I'm pretty excited... I love reflecting and looking forward with determination to become better. Whether that's a whole-new-person-better or I-finally-stopped-biting-my-nails-better... it's all a step in a positive direction, right? (:

What do you think? How are your goals going? Have your New Year's goals lasted??

4 comments:

  1. I want to help you achieve a goal! Say... number 2? Will you be my exercise and wellness coach? Please???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck ya! What kind of "coaching" were you thinking? Because I'm like stuffed with advice about everything but I also have a few "programs" that I used during my internship that you might like.

      Delete
  2. How about you give me voice lessons by skype! Haha! You have a gorgeous voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Amy... I'll teach you voice if you'll teach me to paint. (:

      Delete