Chichen Itza, guys! It's one of the Seven Wonders of the World and we saw it! Do I even need to say that it didn't disappoint?? Didn't think so.
But before we get into that stuff let's just talk about the really really important part of our day. The part where we ate food. It's one of my most dedicated hobbies, really.
Breakfast on Chichen Itza day came straight outa this Panaderia (that's a Mexican Bakery, Lisa). ;)
I could eat (and crumble everywhere) concha everyday. Every. single. day. It's a textural thing. I'm the same way with macarons and those cheap wafer/frosting things. Yum.
Anyhow....
After picking up multiple delicious baked goods we hopped on the ADO and made the 3 hour ride to Chichen Itza.
Todd has always wanted to see Chichen Itza. I was excited about it but I didn't really know what it'd be like. I knew there was the big pyramid looking thing but I thought that was it. Maybe some smaller crumbly ruins. We had 4 hours to check things out and I was worried we'd be bored and looking for stuff to do to kill time.
To no surprise I was completely wrong. The pyramid looking thing that I was familiar with is "The Castle"... one of many, many ruins. I couldn't believe it! It was an entire huge city!
The front has been restored and kept up while the back shows the real weathering. We learned that they use the stones that have fallen off to do all of the restoring.
Lots of columns! Some were round while others were square and still had visible carvings.
There were also tons of vendors. Holy moly. I could not believe it. We got a few things and it was fun watching some of the vendors actually make what they were selling... buuuut it was also tiring being polite and saying no to every single one that asked you to stop and look. I did enjoy the things they'd say to catch our attention.
"Cheaper than Walmart!"
Lunch was muffins and smoothies. This was my only pina colada of the trip. And it was superb after walking around in the blazing heat.
So yeah besides el Castillo we saw their "basketball" arena...
Their enemy sacrificing station....
The holy cenote...
And the observatory. Just to name a few.
To my surprise we spent every last minute at the park before we headed out to wait for our 3-hour ADO back to Cancun.
We made it to our hotel eventually and even though it was in the hotel zone there was an awesome Mexican eatery a block away. Tacun. We went back to this place it was so good! And because it was in our price range haha.
We couldn't believe that it was 10pm when we finished dinner. The crazy things we do when we don't have our kids around!
Thus ends day four of our Mexico Adventure!
Here's the links for the rest of the trip...
No comments:
Post a Comment