6.14.2010

Taking the Stairs

About a year ago I declared my major at Brigham Young University. After a lengthy process and far too many options I settled on the major of Exercise and Wellness. No, it's not exercise science... I don't want to be a doctor, I just want to make a difference. I want to work with fat people. I want to work with young adults that lack self-confidence, mothers that can't keep up with their children, and grandparents that want to live longer and healthier lives. With this major I'll gain the knowledge that I need to work with these individuals where ever they are, whether in hospitals or health centers. As for people I don't want to work with... the self-absorbed. You know those people that can't seem to get buff enough, tan enough, thin enough... I'm avoiding that like the plague. I want the people I influence and work with to need and appreciate me. I want to help them find a brighter light in themselves. About a month ago I was informed by someone very dear to me that I had a little self-confidence issue. This took me aback and I realized, "woah, I don't think very highly of myself." My guess is that these fat people don't think very highly of themselves either, if they did they would treat themselves better, right? Yeah are those fat'n'jolly people around... but are they really happy with themselves? Anyways, since I was told that I needed some more confidence I have put in quite the effort to improve. A few things I did was make sure I was 1) studying and praying daily and 2) exercising and eating healthy. Earlier this week one of my favorite people asked me, "Why are you so wonderful??"... then it hit me [after I got over the "oh he's terribly cute" moment]... "Why would I want to be anything else?" I want everyone to feel wonderful about themselves, I want to help those lacking in confidence to see and reach their full potential. So how am I going to do this? Well first off I'll stick with my major, secondly--as a short term goal--I'm going to do well in my nutrition 200 class. So far it's doing a fairly good job at kicking my behind, but I'm going to keep at it... the knowledge this class can give me will be essential once I am graduated and in the real fat world. Other goals and such that I'm going to do... 1) find an internship. 2) continue building confidence [maybe someday it'll leak onto someone who needs it]. and 3) I'm going to take the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment