3.13.2013

happenings of the last 8 months part one: having a baby.


Before a few weeks ago I hadn't posted since Father's Day. Woops. You could say I've been busy with a baby... or you could say I'm lazy. I'm going to say it's a healthy serving of both swirled with a major case of writers block. But now that we kind of have this "scheduled" nap time thing down I have roughly 3-4 hours during the day to do whatever I want! I spend Peter's first nap with my good friend T. Horton, the second nap usually includes lunch, full house, and scriptureness, and during the third nap I clean, make dinner, and/or anything else a good domestic homemaker should do... including blogging about the doings of my family's life. (: So... here comes a series of posts with context so lengthy you may never know what hit you... we're talking close to everything that has happened since Father's Day of 2012. If you don't like long posts or lots of pictures you may want to sit this series out. Seriously though, I know you're thinking, "It can't be that bad." But it is... endless documentation of random events, and lots of it. You've been warned.

Here we go...

As you have probably figured out... we had a baby! Yeah baby! We left off somewhere around month 7 of the pregnancy. This is what I looked like... 

I wore something like this almost every day, all
summer long... basketball shorts and a t-shirt.

Peter was due on August 22nd (a Wednesday) and the whole weekend prior I started getting irregular contractions... definitely because I did all of those superstitious labor inducing activities to get things going. ;) The super lemon cupcakes that were delicious, the eggplant parmesan that was also delicious, and the endless walking... yeah they totally worked. Seriously though, I went on a walk Monday morning and had to B-line home because it made the contractions a little too painful. After a long Monday that included making a pizza in between contractions we were admitted by about 11pm. I wont go into all of the lovely details but pretty much by Tuesday morning at 7:33 we had our baby boy in our arms. 

Here I am the day before I went into labor.

I don't look too different but I for sure felt different...
achy back, swollen ankles, throbbing everything else. Joy.

Peter Ashton weighed 7 lbs 8 oz and was 18 inches long. He came out with a head full of dark wavy hair which quickly turned into auburn fuzzy hair that was to die for. Labor and delivery was nice and uneventful and we both recovered in good time.

After a nap and a shower... 
The whole time he was in the womb I just wanted to see his face and know what he looked like. The moment he came out, and got cleaned up of course, I told Todd how he look just like my dad. At first no one agreed with me but now days everyone that knows my dad mentions how much him and Peter look alike.

At about 4 months old.
Our stay at the hospital was probably the best it could have been. I haven't been hospitalized since I was maybe 4 years-old to get my adenoids out and even then I probably didn't stay the night. So I didn't really have any expectations for our stay... pretty much I felt like royalty with how much we were waited on. I can't even imagine what it will be like for William and Kate when they have their little bundle. Seriously though, I highly enjoyed and appreciated all of the professional help we got from our doctors, nurses, and lactation specialists. They took great care of us and I couldn't have asked for more. I wish I could remember the name of our nurse during labor, she was so unbelievably awesome... I would be so set if I could have every baby at St. Mary's and have her as my nurse every time.

We stayed in the hospital until Thursday afternoon. At least I think we did... having a baby really drains your brain, blows your mind even. Whenever it was, we left in good shape with only a minor case of jaundice that went away after about a week.

We were lucky enough to have my mom and two little sisters fly in the day he was born [perfect timing] and they got to stay and help out for a week. It was wonderful!


Aren't they just awesome? And pretty? (:

They made all sorts of delicious food, held Peter so I could take naps, and I even got a lovely pedicure from Marysa that lasted until I saw her again at Christmas. Yes, I abuse her finger and toe-nail painting abilities. Will I be begging for another one when she comes next week? Yes. Especially since it will be the last time I see her in 18 months. Horay for sister missionaries!

Once the ladies left we spent a lot of time learning how to live life with a baby, a lot of adjustments were made... most of which occurred right after we thought we had a hang of things. Those silly babies... throwing curve balls like they own the place.

After about three weeks Peter's I've-been-tanning-too-much colored skin cleared up and one of my friends from the ward, Jen, took some newborn pictures for me. She also sent me home with a vat of my favorite soup ever (THANK YOU SO MUCH!) and she didn't even know that I loved it. She's an absolute gem and she always says inspiring things at church. Oh and she has a really cute house and wears cute outfits. (: Really though, I could go on.








Isn't he so handsome?? Seriously... I never thought my body could make another human being this incredibly adorable. 

And there you have it. We had a baby. He is almost 7 months now and he has learned and grown and changed so much. Except for his looks... he's still super cute. (:

I may or may not dedicate a post in the future to the nitty gritty details of Peter's arrival for all of those curious first-time-mommas-to-be but for now let's just enjoy his newborn cuteness and not worry so much about how he got here. (: 

Stay tuned for part two of this lovely series that will either be about Peter and his super daddy or about partying. Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment