3.03.2013

our maple sausage couch.

In preparation for Todd's and my families (that sounds awful, who even invented grammar?!)... let's try again... in preparation for our families coming to visit, mine in three weeks and Todd's this summer, we decided that we needed a little more furniture in our apartment. Especially since before yesterday we could only un-awkwardly sit three people in our living room, yikes. Not very ideal for pretty much any social occasion, ever... including the social occasion where roughly five adults that you're related to come over and stay over for six days. We had been contemplating getting a love seat or over-sized chair once we moved here last May but once baby Peter was close to showing up we ended up getting a rocking chair instead. Technically it's a glider but gliding seems like something a magical carpet should do, not a chair. A magical chair. Yes, exactly. Having this piece of furniture, the magical chair if you will, in the living room totally rocked (haha). I could watch endless hours of Reba while feeding Peter, rocking Peter to sleep, etc. Now that Peter is taking big boy naps and I'm not feeding him 24/7 we have stripped the chair of it's living room privileges. Sorry man, it's nothing personal. If it makes you feel better I will sincerely miss your deep side pockets that so loyally housed Peter's snot sucker, razor sharp baby nail clippers, and other breastfeeding items that needn't be specified publicly (you mom's know what I'm talking about). I'll miss even more that little nook that you created behind you that allowed me to let out my inner hoarder.

As convenient as the rocking chair's features were, it was time for him to step down and take his place in between the crib and our teeny tiny food storage area in the back room. I think I may be the only one that enjoyed gliding magically out in the open front room. You see Todd rarely sits in it, baby omitted, and let's be real here, nobody liked watching me nurse Peter in the living room anyway, especially the missionaries. Oh man... that stresses me out just thinking about it... that moment at 5:05pm when Peter is supposed to wake up hungry any second and the missionaries are supposed to show up any second, also hungry, and you're just praying your husband get's home first so you don't have to awkwardly answer the door to two teenage boys with your baby all latched on and sucking away... yeah I dread that moment every single time they come over. Luckily I've only had to feed Peter twice in their presence and I'm sure I'm not the only mom  in the ward that has experienced this fun and slightly uncomfortable moment.

Anyway... speaking of the missionaries... and oh yeah I'm supposed to be talking about some couch... and sausage. So... having people over, like the missionaries, is obviously the main reason why we wanted to get a love seat. I had been checking out craigslist for a few weeks and finally came across thee most perfect love seat to be created... AND it was posted on craigslist for only $150 (!!!). Yeah seriously nobody sells good furniture for that cheap out here in good ol' double-you-eye. While in Provo we got our first nice used couch for only $75... now we are paying twice as much for 2/3 the cushions? Oh well, both are great pieces of furniture and don't tell the buyers, but they could have sold them for much more. Like I've said before, I love me a good deal. (: Anywho, I contacted the seller and was lucky enough to be first in line. Yesss!! Being first in line for anything on craigslist is like winning an Olympic gold metal! Or a trophy! We borrowed a friends trailer, another excellent story, and showed up to check out and hopefully pick up the love seat. I had only seen a single picture on craigslist of this lovely love seat so I was a little nervous about the color but once we got to the owners apartment and he opened the door I knew the couch was the one for me. What happened was this... the door opened and I was struck with the strong aroma of maple syrup and sausage. Like I had grabbed hold of a portkey I flew back to fast Sundays past at Campus Plaza with my dearest Launa Marie... as a family tradition she used to make breakfast for dinner every fast Sunday and maple sausage was always on the menu. Remember that one time when we mixed up the French toast egg mixture with the scrambled egg mixture?? Haha those were the days. Luckily I didn't get stuck in this memory for too long and went upstairs to test out the couch before anything became unbearably awkward. The love seat was comfy, pretty, and in excellent shape so we coughed up $150 (hmm... coughing up money haha, can you imagine??) and made our way home with a year old love seat originally from Ashley Furniture. Once we got it inside and set up I was again whisked away into another maple sausagey memory... the smell had stuck to the couch like two gummy bears on a hot day. Even now, two days and a crazy 30 mile-exposed-to-the-elements trip later, I can still smell fast Sunday dinner in wildthingS203. The now previous owner said the color was "mocha" but I'm pretty sure I'll be describing it as "maple sausage Marie" from here on out. Now to get rid of the cat dander that makes me get all itchy inside...

+

Every item of furniture seen here was either purchase on craigslist,
found at a garage sale, or passed on from  a generous relative.
Aren't we so classy?? (:

=

near perfection, people!

1 comment:

  1. This post is the perfect amount of happy detours and Jimmy Dean. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete