6.25.2013

our maple syrup flowers.

What is the deal with everything we own smelling like a variety of maple flavored substances?? Seriously, first the couch... now the flowers? Haha I kid you not, I bought flowers last week that smell like maple syrup.  Here's the rundown....

For roughly three summers now I have bought, potted, and kind of watered a variety of tomato plants and flowers. The first year when Mr. H. and I were dating I planted these guys, the second year I was late (something about taking finals and getting married and moving...) and picked up a cherry tomato plant that actually did pretty well considering it had turned brown and was planted in a bucket, and last year I did a superb job of killing some big boys... or whatever they're called. Every year Todd has to remind me that tomatoes need a lot of watering... because they are full of water! Aaaaand every year I neglect the poor things and let them die a slow, dehydrated death. We also determined that the pots and buckets I was using to house these plants were way too small and subsequently contributing to their premature deaths. Luckily we shop at Costco now... and everyone knows that everything is bigger at Costco, including pots. (: Sooooo we bought one! And now it is ever-so-kindly allowing my roma tomato plant to stretch out and grow to it's fullest potential... as long as I water it, of course. Good thing it's been raining for like a hundred years out here!


Sooo, phew, my point is I now have an empty pot that my romas used to be in and I can't just leave an empty pot out on my deck! I have to fill it with something! Dirt, candy, ice cream, chicken wings, something! So after a restless and rainy day with the Peter-child we headed over to our little village's little-er greenhouse to peruse their selection. The lady there was so friendly and helped me pick out some fun starshine blue laurentias.



I almost bought probably five other plants, especially since she keeps them so healthy and pretty and tempting... but alas I only have one pot. We might need to make another Costco run. Anyway haha once we picked up some soil and re-potted the romas we ran into a little dead end called "there-is-no-more-soil-in-the-bag-oops" so we just put the laurentias on the breakfast bar until we could get some more dirt and "worm works." (a story for another day) 

Later on that night is when I started smelling things... I was doing some dishes and got a whiff of maple syrup. We hadn't eaten anything with syrup that day... but the windows were open and the ceiling fan was crankin' so maybe one of our many neighbors was serving up some late breakfast for dinner?? Maybe someone is outside tapping one of the trees of it's sweet syrupy juices?? There it is again... another whiff of yummy, warm, sweet, maple syrup. Then it hit me... these aren't laurentias! These are... maplesyrupy... -entias? What?? Why does my nose think everything smells like maple-ness? Have I had maple syrup stuck up my nose for months now? Okay seriously! Todd smelled the flowers though and he agreed, the laurentias smelled like maple syrup. How goofy is that?? Really goofy, ya? 

So there you have it... the scent of maple has entered our home again... and again in the strangest way.

They are no longer inhabiting the breakfast bar though... we picked up some more potting soil and vermicompost yesterday so our maple syrup flowers are now on the porch, sharing their yummy smells with the world.

Oh and I'm pretty sure breakfast and hot maple syrup is on the menu tonight. (:


the line-up: begonias, laurentias, romas

No comments:

Post a Comment