7.11.2015

for this child we prayed

You guys, I cannot get out of this blogging slump! Writer's block to the max. Maybe it's because I'm hungry. I'mma go eat some lunch.

Okay. Let's do this...

We'll make things easy and finish up a post that I meant to post over a month ago... so...

Last Many Sunday(s ago) we had the opportunity to bless our baby Calvin while we were visiting my family for my sister's mission farewell. If you're not familiar with the traditions of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints then that first sentence was probably pretty loaded.

What is a baby blessing?

In the church we give infants a name and a blessing. It's not a saving ordinance like baptism or receiving your endowments but it's a nice way to name your infant for the records of the church and give him or her a blessing.

What is a mission farewell?

Worthy and prepared young men and young women can submit their "papers" to be assigned to share the restored gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the earth. The assignments are made by the leaders of the church. My sister has been assigned to served in the California, San Fernando mission speaking Spanish. Before missionaries leave on their 18 month-24 month missions they give their "mission farewell" to their ward (congregation). This farewell is basically a short sermon consisting of the missinary-to-be's testimony and their thoughts and feelings about leaving on a mission.

So.

My little sister gave her farewell in May and since lots of family would be attending we decided to do Calvin's baby blessing on the same day.

It worked out great and it was a beautiful day with lots of wonderful family.

And Todd gave Calvin a beautiful blessing. To be mindful of others and full of service. Our little guys really are so lucky to have such a great daddy to look up to.




Getting little Calvin Scott here took much longer than anticipated. Now that he has finally made it we couldn't be happier. He's the sweetest little ball of perfect baby. Seriously. I could... no, I do kiss on him all day and adore his little turned up nose and his strawberry blonde cul-de-sac hair. He's simply the most precious baby ever. I can't efficiently express my gratitude that the Lord answered our many prayers and blessed us with such a beautiful baby boy.

"For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of him."

1 Samuel 1:27

2 comments:

  1. Baby blessings are my absolute favorite!! I grew up in a ward that never had them and we had 14 babies born the first month we moved into this one.

    I'm happy for your family! :) (Also, your new blog layout is really cute)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SOO happy for you guys!!! He's lucky to get such a family and momma. :) And, your blog looks so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete