6.24.2011

90] Plant something pretty in a take-out box.

Once upon a time I was walking up the stairs in the RB and I saw a girl. She was carrying around pink Chinese take-out box and there were pretty flowers coming out of it. My first thought was probably something like, "Dang, I could totally go for some Panda right now." But I'm sure my second thought came shortly after and went something along the lines of, "That right there is going on the list." And it did... and I did it. And it was quite fun and extremely easy. (: Here's how it went... last week, after our completos date with Marysa, we made a stop at Zurchers in Orem. Being the activities co-chair last year I spent a lot of time getting party stuffs there and I had some vague memory of seeing take-out boxes. Luckily they indeed had them... and in lots of colors and patterns too! As you can see I ended up getting a purple one and a black'n'white-picnic-blanket looking one. 

Pardon the quality of these pictures...
my camera is currently MIA.

My original plan was to put some rocks in the bottom (so they wouldn't blow over or anything) but I completely forgot! I even walked around our apartment complex looking for loose gravel or cement. Once I found enough for both boxes I kind of just spaced it, woops. Luckily the cheapo soil that I picked up from Macey's was pretty dense so they shouldn't be blowing away too soon. (: The seeds have a fun little story behind them as well. Two nice ladies from my homeward threw a bridal shower for me last semester and their theme was "He loves her." So they made lots of yummy flower sugar cookies and everyone got a packet of seeds with a little poem on them. My mother held onto a bunch of them for me for memories sake... and me, being my mother's daughter, did the same. So I ended up with lots and lots of shasta daisy seeds. Really though, enough to last me like a decade. So anyways I decided to use them, I mean why not, right? (: 


Here's the finished product... the whole thing took me about 10 minutes--including the rock hunting part. And now they are sitting on my front porch next to my marigolds and cherry tomatoes. I still haven't decided if it looks tacky or not to have them on my porch... but I am thinking in the future they're going to be a window sill plant. But for now all my window sills are too small and don't get enough sun so the porch will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment